Lets kick things off... (aka i really do love my kids)

So to kick it all off, I want to note about my kids.

I have 3 kids, about 2 years apart. Current ages are 10 (boy), 8 (girl), and 6 (boy).

They all do things that I never understand, and the last week has been a level of ridiculous that I just don't get, so im gonna blurt a bit. They each have their own stories and I could talk for days about them, both good and bad.

Lets start with my youngest. A joker to the core, always wanting to make others laugh by being the clown. I get it, that's how I get by. Make the world laugh and the world is a happier place.

The problem is that he doesn't know when to stop.

But its the whinging that really grates.

I don't understand the whinging. It can go for hours... over the most ridiculously small and inconsequential things. Today it was a 20c spinner and then later because he didn't know how to use the vacuum (despite having just vacuumed for the last 20 minutes), and then again later because he took his sisters photo. When asked why he took it (and then ran away), he simply wanted to look at it.

Ive tried to be a good dad, ive tried to give them a sense of right and wrong, how to be honest, how to cope with frustration.

Currently I feel like ive failed at all 3. Things that I find simple (because ive been doing them for 35 years - at least that's my memory of it). I don't know how to explain things that come naturally to me.

My daughter is no better. She is very smart, probably the smartest of the three, when she tries. He biggest problems these days are that she babies herself and she screams and cries over nothing. I know shes just attention seeking, but it doesn't make it any easier to cope with.

The younger two both have this "if I complain and say I don't know how to do it, then I wont have to do it". This can be five minutes after they just did it.

The eldest is another story.

He bottles his anger and is the "angsty" one. Always with the muttering and the sulking.

This week he was lucky not to be expelled from school. Another kid was tormenting him and then apparently hit him, so my son decided retaliation was his best response. Repeatedly punching the other kid in the stomach. I don't understand any of this.

I went through life as the geeky outsider, but with enough charisma to be able to talk myself into any situation. I managed to get to the ripe old age of 40 something and still have never thrown a punch in anger in my life.

Im sure as time goes on, and I continue to write down my thoughts that I will learn to understand my kids, maybe they will learn to understand what I say, why I say it, and the value of the lessons ive learned.

Maybe they wont, because what kid ever really listens to their parent? :P

Comments

Popular Posts