Why i code in Python

I often wonder to myself "why do I code in Python"

What made me choose it over the dozens of other languages. It wasn't my first, its not necessarily the most powerful, and to a lot of people it is not the most useful.

As I've mentioned, at the start of my career in IT, I looked C++, Perl, JavaScript, C#, Ruby... but they all seemed overly complicated. Obviously they had their place, they were all popular.

I googled for the best beginner languages. Python and JavaScript were up there a lot. I've looked at JavaScript before, I remembered that it was odd to code, a bit like C++ in it's requirement of syntax.

As I've noted previously, I started writing code long before I got into Python, but it was a few years ago when I did a short and free Codecademy course on Python that it really clicked with me.

For some reason, unlike every other language I tried, the language fit with me. I was able to remember the syntax without too much issue. I was able to remember how the code worked.

Maybe it was the almost natural language syntax

Print('hello world')

For item in my_list:    print(item)


It just seemed so simple, surely this was only a learning language like scratch. Surely it couldn't be used for anything amazing.

Reddit, YouTube, Dropbox, Netflix... What do you mean they were all made using Python...

Since then, I've never looked back. I haven't been focused, but I've never thought I made the wrong choice.

Whether I've been dabbling in Flask or Django for websites, or Pandas for Data Analysis or Tkinter and Toga for a nice GUI interface or even Pygame, Turtle or the Microbit for teaching the kids. It seemed there was nothing Python couldn't do.

I've heard Python described as a Full Spectrum language, because its great at handling beginners but can take them all the way to the top, it doesn't have an upper limit like some other beginner languages. It is constantly being worked on and has an amazing community.

The group I've met at Pybit.es has been amazing. They are some of the friendliest people I know, always willing to help, but also willing to push me. They also just there as friends.

My journey here is still beginning, and I feel there is a really long way to go. This is an area of continued learning, but one that I take full ownership of. I'm not learning this for anyone else. I can do my job without it, but it makes my job better and it makes me better.

Comments

Popular Posts